“You may not like video games, but what I learned from them is this: no enemies in front of you means you are going the wrong way.” – Unknown
I decided to start this because of all the false info spewed about video games.
“Video games are a waste of time.”
“Video games are for kids!”
“Video games don’t teach you anything!”
So, here I am going to show you all the words I learned from playing Final Fantasy XIV. To do this, I went back through my FFXIV – Luna Freia, Part 1 **Spoilers** video, wrote down the words I didn’t know and their definitions, and now I shall share them with you all.
There will be no, “how did you not know these already?” type of comments and responses. Don’t be that belittling asshat. I will ban you the moment I see it. You’ll take away from the purpose of this, which is to show video games ARE capable of teaching or, at the very least, enhancing someone’s knowledge.
So, without further ado, here are the 26 words I learned in the first four hours-ish of playing Final Fantasy XIV:
- starboard, n: the right-hand side of or direction from a vessel or aircraft, facing forward.
- itinerant, adj: traveling from place to place, especially on a circuit, as a minister, judge, or sales representative; itinerating; journeying.
- maritime, adj: living near or in the sea.
- sodden, adj: soaked with liquid or moisture; saturated.
- hostelries, n., plural for hostelry: an inn or hotel
- gull, v: to deceive, trick, or cheat.
- spate, n: a sudden, almost overwhelming, outpouring.
- replete, adj: abundantly supplied or provided; filled (usually followed by with).
- sojourns, n., plural of sojourn: a temporary stay.
- rudimentary, adj: pertaining to rudiments or first principles; elementary.
- esoteric, adj: understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest; recondite.
- ensconced, adj: settled securely or snugly.
- cogitate, v: to think hard; ponder; meditate.
- inscrutable, adj: not easily understood; mysterious; unfathomable.
- litany, n: a ceremonial or liturgical form of prayer consisting of a series of invocations or supplications with responses that are the same for a number in succession.
- presaging, n: something that portends or foreshadows a future event; an omen, prognostic, or warning indication.
- forethought, n: a thinking of something beforehand; previous consideration; anticipation.
- surfeit, n: excess; an excessive amount.
- grotto, n: a cave or cavern.
- yeomen, n: a subordinate or assistant, as of a sheriff or other official or in a craft or trade.
- stalwart, adj: strong and brave; valiant.
- knave, n: an unprincipled, untrustworthy, or dishonest person.
- sorely, adv: in a painful manner.
- hard-pressed, adj: heavily burdened or oppressed, as by overwork or financial difficulties; harried; put-upon.
- mutable, adj: liable or subject to change or alteration.
- perchance, adv: perhaps; maybe; possibly.
I got these definitions from Dictionary.com.
I hope you learned something from this as well! Again, if you knew these words already, congrats; shut up. Belittling someone for learning something late doesn’t make people want to keep trying to learn.
Part 2 will be available sometime tomorrow. To see the “FFXIV – Luna Freia, Part 2 **Spoilers**” video, click here.
Pingback: Words Learned From FFXIV – Part 2 | Monria Titans